Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I never post, and now I'm posting twice in one day! Got some yummy recipes here...

I have a cookie swap to go to next weekend, and I could not wait for an excuse to make these again!  When I was overdue with my youngest, I made "break your water cookies"...they don't really break your water, but they are delicious!  I made some modifications to the recipe to use it as a Christmas cookie.  Here it is:

Ginger Spice Cookies (get it? like the Spice Girls)
2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbs. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. molasses
1 egg
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugars together.
Add the molasses to the creamed butter, then add the egg & vegetable oil until combined.
Add the dry ingredients slowly.
Once incorporated, roll dough into 1 inch balls and place onto baking tray.
Bake 8-10 minutes.

Then I had some Trader Joe's gluten free pancake mix in the house & thought "Hmm, I'm feeling creative, maybe I'll use that to make gluten free cookies!"

DISCLAIMER: these don't include wheat flour, but I don't know if the other ingredients are 100% gluten free.  If you wanted to make them for someone with a gluten allergy, I'd make super sure all your ingredients were gluten free.

The first ones are like dark chocolate in cookie form.  Absolutely delicious & SUPER chocolatey.  A real baker would probably tell me they're all wrong, they fall apart, they don't grow when they're cooking, (is that just the nature of gluten free baking?) but they are delicious!  They're not very sweet, but that's why I like them...like I said, they taste like dark chocolate.  So here's the recipe:

Gluten Free Fudge Balls:

2 c. Trader Joe's gluten free pancake mix
1 c. cocoa powder
1 c. brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. vegetable oil
Optional: powdered sugar to dust on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix pancake mix and cocoa and set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar.
Add egg, vanilla, and vegetable oil until well blended.
Blend in dry ingredients.
Roll into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet.
Bake 8-10 minutes.
Let cool & dust with powdered sugar if desired.


These next ones are super tasty, but not technically gluten free since (as I just learned) oatmeal is often cross-contaminated with wheat & other gluten containing grains.

Oatmeal Spice Cookies

1 1/2 c. Trader Joe's gluten free pancake mix
1 c. Trader Joe's steel cut oats
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp garamasala
Optional: powdered sugar to dust on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix pancake mix, oats, and spices and set aside.
Cream together butter and sugars.
Add egg and vanilla until well blended.
Blend in dry ingredients.
Roll into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet.
Bake 8-10 minutes.
Let cool.

No comments: