Thursday, October 28, 2010

Yarn & Kool Aid...

Moose & I had no plans yesterday, so we decided to try hand dying yarn with kool aid. It was so fun & so easy! (and messy!) We bought some 100% wool yarn (paton's wool, and stitch nation's "full o' sheep") and every kool aid flavor the grocery store had- actually we went to 2 grocery stores because the first one didn't have any flavors that weren't pink or purple.

I started, but Moose took over so this one became his skein...


...I wanted to see how it would come out striping it one way or the other:


This was AFTER washing our hands:

(Moose didn't actually handle the yarn, just the brush, so his aren't so bad)

here's Moose's skein, fresh out of the microwave:


Here's the striped one I worked on:


and this one I striped in the other direction:

All of our yarn drying:

The finished product!


We found these instructions on knitty.com, they even had a color chart...too bad we couldn't find half the colors they showed. I will be on a kool aid search from now til Christmas- undyed yarn is on my Christmas list!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I LOVE that!! Will the color stay if you wash it?? What color Kool-Aid packs are you looking for? I will search for you too. So much fun...thanks for the idea.

Jody said...

WOW! They look great! And I'll bet Moose loved it! I can't wait to see something knitted up in your original colors. Amanda you are so talented that I burst with pride!

Mandy said...

yes Beth- the color sets when you microwave it, then you can wash it according to the yarn's washing directions
i've been looking for blue and green but our grocery store only had cherry, fruit punch, orange, grape, and lemonade. I really want to do purple, turquoise, & green
thanks Mom :)