Tuesday, February 12, 2013

(Somewhat Healthy) Chocolate Cake!

 Don't you love how my scrapbooking blog has become almost all recipes? It seemed the easiest place to share.

 
Last week I bought coconut cream at Trader Joe's, thinking I could put it in my smoothies since they were out of all forms of coconut milk. Well, it was solid & needed to be melted, and I did not want a warm smoothie, so I needed a plan b for the coconut cream.  I thought I could use it in place of butter or oil in a cake since it was similar in texture. Sure enough, it made an amazing, moist, delicious cake! Now I am not a professional baker, so feel free to laugh at the measurements I used, but it tasted good! And I used whole wheat flour, and no butter or oil, so it's a little bit healthy.

Here is the recipe:

1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup coconut cream
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 350.
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Melt coconut cream (I put it in the microwave for 90 seconds at half power), beat in egg, add vanilla, then combine wet and dry ingredients, stir until blended. (I did this with a fork, but you could use beaters.)
Pour into a 9" round cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.

I bet you could do cupcakes too! I will be doubling the recipe to make cupcakes for my son's birthday.


 
 
For icing, I used the paleo fudge recipe I found here.  I poured it on the cake before it had a chance to solidify. I use peanut butter instead of almond butter, so it's not totally paleo, but the cake certainly isn't paleo, I was just aiming for less sugar than a traditional icing. I also sprinkled shredded coconut on top.  Then it got gobbled up before I could get another picture!
 
I hope you enjoy the cake!

No comments: